NEW BEAR HANDS VIDEO FOR “CRIME PAYS”
Bear Hands, the Passion Pit disciples featured in last week’s Speakend Playlist, released a music video last night for “Crime Pays,” the very same song in the playlist.
She & Him Play A Christmas Song Back Stage With Conan O’Brien
Last night She & Him was the musical guest on Conan and sometime before or after that filming, the duo performed “Have Yourself A Merry Christmas” with O’Brien. Due to copyright infringement, you must click here to view the video. DO IT!!!
All Time Low Release A New Christmas Song
Tonight’s Show Schedule
Stereogum Releases It’s Top 50 of 2010
50 Emeralds – Does It Look Like I Am Here?
49 Small Black – New Chain
48 Sharon Van Etten – Epic
47 Baths – Cerulean
46 Frank (Just Frank) – The Brutal Wave
45 Perfume Genius – Learning
44 Field Music – Field Music (Measure)
43 Big Boi – Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty
42 Lower Dens – Twin-Hand Movement
41 Oneohtrix Point Never – Returnal
40 Glasser – Ring
39 Gold Panda – Lucky Shiner
38 Avey Tare – Down There
37 jj – jj nº3
36 the morning benders – Big Echo
35 Swans – My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky
34 Titus Andronicus – The Monitor
33 MGMT – Congratulations
32 Twin Shadow – Forget
31 Warpaint – The Fool
30 Das Racist – Shut Up, Dude
29 Matthew Dear – Black City
28 Delorean – Subiza
27 Janelle Monae – The ArchAndroid
26 Tame Impala – Innerspeaker
25 ceo – White Magic
24 Tamaryn – The Waves
23 SALEM – King Night
22 Marnie Stern – Marnie Stern
21 Liars – Sisterworld
20 Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti – Before Today
19 Flying Lotus – Cosmogramma
18 Abe Vigoda – Crush
17 Owen Pallett – Heartland
16 The National – High Violet
15 The-Dream – Love King
14 Yeasayer – Odd Blood
13 LCD Soundsystem – This Is Happening
12 Crystal Castles – II
11 Joanna Newsom – Have One On Me
10 Deerhunter – Halcyon Digest
09 Wild Nothing – Gemini
08 Antony & The Johnsons – Swanlights
07 Vampire Weekend – Contra
06 Sleigh Bells – Treats
05 Robyn – Body Talk
04 Sufjan Stevens – The Age Of Adz
03 Beach House – Teen Dream
02 Arcade Fire – The Suburbs
01 Kanye West – My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
SPIN Magazine Announces Its Top 20 Songs Of The Year
1) “Fuck You” by Cee Lo Green…”Appropriately, 2010’s most memorable song first existed as a goofy Internet novelty. But due to its universal sentiment, Cee Lo’s holy-rolling gusto, and the year’s shit train of woes, it actually resonated: We’re broke, we’re pissed, and we wanna curse out anybody who acts like they’ve got the slightest inkling; or, we could just cue up this hilariously ebullient, timelessly soulful middle-finger salute, and go about our fucking business. Thanks, Preacher Green, you win.”
2) “Ready To Start” by Arcade Fire…”Almost a decade after Win Butler’s moveable hoot set out to conquer the world’s stadia, this smoldering screed sounds like a nail-it-to-the-door manifesto.”
3) “Power (feat. Dwele)” by Kanye West…”As if he’s inciting an Afro-futurist convocation, Kanye creates the theme music for his spectacularly ambivalent “superhero” alter ego — ’21st Century Schizoid Man,’ a.k.a. the ‘abomination of Obama’s nation.'”
4) “All I Want” by LCD Soundsystem…”A glam-rock lament, an impossible disco plea, and James Murphy’s LCD swan song. Sayonara, sensei.”
5) “Hitchhiker” by Neil Young…”A man’s entire life bleeds into the red with shuddering chords and enough drugs to kill Cortez’s minions.”
Check the rest of the list here.
Paste Magazine Lists Its Top 20 Cover Songs Of 2010
2) “No One Is Gonna Leave You” (Band Of Horse) by Cee Lo Green
3) “Never Tear Us Apart” (INXS) by St. Vincent, Beck, and Liars
4) “I Wanna Be Adored” (The Stone Roses) by The Raveonettes
5) “Whip My Hair” (Willow Smith) by Jimmy Fallon (as Neil Young) and Bruce Springsteen
See the rest of the list here.
The Go! Team And Best Coast Collaborate On New Song
The track, which is entitled “Buy Nothing Day,” features Bethany Cosentino’s on vocals and will appear on The Go! Team’s upcoming January 31st release.
The Flaming Lips’ News Years Eve Super Fucking Freakout!!! GET SOME!!!!
The Flaming Lips are hosting a New Years Eve Freakout In Oklahoma City where the band will perform its 1999 album The Soft Bulletin in full.
Check out last year’s freakout in a crazy time lapse with more squealing lasers than anyone cares for:
Previously Unreleased Track “Ain’t Good Enough for You” Given To Billboard.com w/Accompanying Video
Billboard.com was given an exclusive unreleased track with music recorded during the Darkness On The Edge of Town studio time called “Ain’t Good Enough For You.” Although it was never released on a record, according to my father who claims he saw it done live several times, Bruce, South Side Johnny, and Gary U.S. Bonds used to perform this track at The Stone Pony.
Check it out here.
Neon Indian Releases New Music Video For “Mind Drips”
Adam Polomo (a.k.a. Neon Indian) created a new piece of technology to create this trippy video. Read more about that and watch the video here.
SPIN Magazine Enlightens The World To Its Top 40 Albums Of 2010
1) My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West…”He ascends the throne of not just music, but the entire cultural realm, his narcissism riding surly shotgun as he relishes the riches, veneration, and, yeah, the “light-skinned girls and some Kelly Rowlands” afforded by such a position — call it the Michael Jackson Memorial Chair of Pop Primacy. But no matter how stupendous the feeling (and if you’ve cranked the song’s hurtling tribal refrain, you know), eventually the clout he craves feels like an abuse of power. And the chain around his neck becomes heavy as Horus.”
2) Halcyon Digest by Deerhunter…”Deerhunter long for an alternative-rock utopia — where record-collector geeks transform skewed underground sounds into a melodic group hug for the shit-upon. A fleeting vision, at best, over the decades, but Halcyon Digest‘s mournful rapture radiates like the beacon the Atlanta band always imagined.”
3) The Suburbs by Arcade Fire…”After meditations on mortality (2004’s Funeral) and religion (2007’s Neon Bible), an album that addresses subjects as relatable as suburban sprawl and the obsolescence of handwritten letters should afford Win Butler and friends a chance to scale things back. But Arcade Fire don’t do scaled-back. The fiercely nostalgic subject matter pushes Butler deeper into his record collection, and he creates his most cohesive album yet; the raw and frantic “Month of May” reminds us that the most important room in any cul-de-sac split-level is the garage.”
4) This Is Happening by LCD Soundsystem…”Since LCD Soundsystem’s 2005 debut album, James Murphy has obsessively redefined and critiqued the cutting edges of dance music and rock. LCD’s third (and supposedly farewell) album may be Murphy’s most ambitiously impressive, subjecting his own relationship woes to heartfelt, self-lacerating scrutiny.”
5) The Guitar Song by Jamey Johnson…”Johnson’s double-album opus isn’t one of the past decade’s best country records because he’s a boundary-pushing subversive. It’s because his haunting baritone artfully inhabits every cranny of Nashville’s sylvan McMansion of the Mind. He essays a jaunty tune about whoring himself on a reality show, croons a plea to his daughter, sneers a class-conscious threat, even alludes to God’s despairing tears — and that’s just disc one. Johnson’s beard may be unruly, but his music is all shrewd sophistication.”
Check out the full list here.
Beady Eye (Oasis minus the superior Gallagher…Noel) Releases Debut Album Cover And Track List:
1. Four Letter Word
3. The Roller
4. Beatles And Stones
5. Wind Up Dream
6. Bring The Light
7. For Anyone
8. Kill For A Dream
9. Standing On The Edge Of The Noise
11. Three Ring Circus
12. The Beat Goes On
13. The Morning Son
Beady Eye debut single “Bring The Light”
Wavves Drummer Billy Hayes Officially Departs From The Band
Jacob Cooper has been filling in as the band’s touring drummer since Wavves toured with Phoenix earlier this year.
No reason has been given for the breakup.
Wilco Front-man Jeff Tweedy Joins Yo La Tengo As Part Of The Indie Cult Band’s 8 Nights Of Chanukah Residency At Maxwell’s In Hoboken:
(videos via redienhcs4)